"Support member companies to innovate and develop new technologies and intellectual property and commercialise these."
Message from the chair
Everyone has ideas. Many make the headlines, some even make history. Others get rejected, are forgotten or fail to get heard at all. But what if great ideas are being missed?
We know just how many amazing ideas people are coming up with, at work, every day at every tier of the aerospace industry. The best ideas don’t all come from the top. Many ideas may seem small but, collectively, they can help us overcome the challenges our aerospace industry faces to design more fuel-efficient aircraft at a time of unparalleled growth in the number of aircraft being manufactured, uncertain economic conditions and intense global competition.
The Midlands is home to one of the largest aerospace industry clusters in the world so naturally it’s teeming with exciting new ideas. And the MAA is proud to have helped more than 50 companies access £8m in funding, expert help and mentoring from other member companies over the last ten years to bring new technologies to market. Our support has helped them add more value, become more competitive and move up in the industry by developing intellectual property that they own.
It’s often assumed that lower-tier supply chain companies should focus solely on efficiency initiatives and that R&D isn’t for them. The truth is, these organisations are often full of great ideas but lack the resources to develop them. With the right support, their ideas can be turned into better products or improved manufacturing processes that can really take off. That's what the MAA Technology Development Group is all about.
For more information on the MAA's unique philosophy and the 40+ technology development projects we have supported, I encourage you to click here.
Robin Hill, chair
Current group members
- Mike Andreae, Director of Technology & Improvement, Sigma Precision Components
- Nathan Bailey, Managing Director, Advanced Innovative Engineering
- Kevin Cooke, Consultant, Teer Coatings
- Andrew Cross, Chief Technical Officer, Integral Powertrain
- Timothy Davies, UK Aerospace R&T Programmes, Rolls-Royce
- Mark Hancock, Engineering Director, Meggitt Polymers and Composites
- Robin Hill, Head of Electronics, Collins Aerospace (group chair)
- Hitendra Hirani, EU Business Development Manager, University of Nottingham Institute for Aerospace Technology
- Toby Hutton, Manager Friction & Structural Materials Engineering, Meggitt Aircraft Braking Systems
- Peter Knight, Technology Manager, Midlands Aerospace Alliance
- Dr Andrew Mair, Chief Executive, Midlands Aerospace Alliance
- James McGeachie, Technical & Programme Director, Low Carbon Vehicle Partnership
- Vijay Patel, Chief Programme Engineer, Manufacturing Technology Centre
- Dan Price, Engineering Director, ITP Engines UK
- Steve Sproson, Technical Manager, Collins Aerospace - Actuation Systems
- Julian Thomas, Engineering Director, TT Electronics, Power & Hybrid Business Unit